Friday 2 September 2011

Matching in Munich

Apparently matching makes you weak.  However, when you’re feeling weak, matching helps you through.

For a couple of weeks before Munich I’d been suffering bad back knots.  Whilst warming up for the last World Cup Qualifiers of the season, I found I was in pain and couldn’t pull on one side the same as usual.  *Darn! (*insert expletives)

I had my best start position ever, but quickly dropped down out of the semis.  I was really disappointed, but realise that it was for the best, as if I had matched the 4th top hold, or had a couple of less goes on the three tops I got, and therefore made the semi, I may well have done my shoulder some major damage (assuming I haven’t already).  Never mind, I got points – not bad in the circumstances.  The comp was really good for the team – we all got points and team GBR came 6th.  Also, Shauna crushed to come 4th in her third ever World Cup.  Awesome.

I finished the season with my best overall result to date – 25th in the World Cup (World Ranked 28th).  I know what I need to train for next season and can’t wait to fix myself so that I can start training again.  It’s the difficult month of year when I try and do anything other than climbing to give my body a chance, but end up out with my mates climbing.  I’m sticking to friendly moves…. honest.

I was hoping to try a few hard things outdoors whilst still strong from the comps, but that’ll have to wait too.

1 comment:

Global Therapies said...

Hey Diane, Good effort during this season! Shame to hear about the issues you've been having recently. Drop us a line if you're over this side of the Peak District, it'd be good to see you and to see if we can help you out.

tim