Friday 2 September 2016

Regrouping

The best laid plans can still go awry. I planned to climb outside lots, trying hard problems. I haven't tried any hard problems this year because I sustained an arm injury. There was also a lot of things going on that meant climbing had to take a back seat. Now, months down the line, I am starting to be able to pull hard again and might tentatively start doing a little bit of training.

I have carefully competed locally, as I'm a sucker for a fun competition, at the CWIF and BBCs. I've been surprised at how there are ways around doing moves to avoid particular motions that have not been possible for me. I wouldn't advise competing on an injury though. It's a wee bit silly to do, as the tendancy is to push to your limits when competing and therefore risk doing more damage.

I have been outside lots. I had a fantastic three weeks sight-seeing, climbing and walking around the Peak District and North York Moors (and Parisellas Cave when desparate for dry rock) with a Canadian friend. We visited gritstone classics such as Trackside and scrittled around trying to do things like Strawberries and other apparently approachable graded boulders on a warm greasy summer afternoon. It was great! I'd recommend it.

I've also taken up road cycling. I was missing trying hard and pushing myself to see what I was capable of. It's exhausting, exhilarating and a vantage point for the spectacular Peak District scenery. Will I still be able to haul my developing cycling legs up boulders? Time will tell.




No comments: