Thursday 17 July 2008

Injuries - pain without gain

So my pesky shoulder that is now pretty much better... Months and months ago a week before a team training I scratched my back and thought 'ow, my shoulder hurts'. After that it was uncomfortable and hurt a bit when climbing, especially with wider arm positions.

I thought it was just an aggravation from too much training, had it checked and was told I had no tendon damage. I took it easy for a bit and always made sure I warmed up carefully. Trying to be nice to my body. Unfortunately my shoulder continued to niggle from time to time - but hey I could still climb well.

Silly me.

At the worst possible time, having qualified for my first World Cup semi-final, my shoulder said to me 'enough' and completely seized up. I went to see John Ostrovskis after many recommendations. John diagnosed that I had a few shoulder and back muscles that had been in tight knots for a long time and had become underdeveloped. Other muscles were compensating. After some pain for gain work on the muscles my shoulder felt a bit odd and I felt a bit wonky. I was probably wonky before and now straight!

A month down the line having done daily theraband exercises and wide arm press-ups I feel great. My shoulder strength is back, but now without pain.

I saw John twice more during this time as I was doing competitions so couldn't risk a single full treatment as I may not have been able to climb properly.

I now regularly do a suite of theraband exercises and do daily pressups. I was given the advice ages ago that pressups are good for climbers wanting to avoid injury and maintain good posture. I fully believe this is true now.

Therabands are good for warm-ups, keeping your body toned and in balance and doing exercises away from the gym/whilst travelling.

I will now pay more attention to pain. For me if pain only lasts a few days then it's good pain that's making me stronger (unless blood/bruises are involved!). If the pain lasts more than a week or so it may well be that it is not good pain and I may need to get it checked out.

Not rocket science I know, but it would seem that at times wishful thinking gets the better of me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well done Diane!
You're brilliant!