Monday 21 May 2012

Innsbruck 2012

Great Britain did well in Innsbruck with Ned, Shauna and Stewart making the finals. Dave and Mina also gained points to place the team 4th behind Austria, Russia and France. Shauna came nail-bitingly close to winning, but had to settle for 2nd.

I felt that I climbed quite well, but I got a disappointing result. I slipped off the easy problem once again (sigh). I got lots of bonuses and was apparently one of the closest to topping the only problem that wasn’t topped. The last problem was just my thing, but I took a few goes to get going, then missed the last hold by a fraction with nothing left in the tank. Pete (partner and main critic!) said my left side looked a bit weak throughout, but I just felt a bit short of the mark. I came 38th. I felt that I didn’t have enough endurance to finish when it mattered on the last problem to put me in the top 30 and contribute to the team result. The usual ‘what ifs’ featured, but they have to be put aside as nothing can be changed now. I’ve reviewed my performance and am trying to learn from my mistakes. I watched the videos of my attempts and I looked tired and weak!

I need to continue working towards full fitness. I console myself by knowing that I was close to doing ok despite everything. I’m good at battling on the hard problems. I’m bad at getting it right first time and finishing problems. Strength is not always physical. I need to work on my mental weaknesses as well. I need to practice decision making whilst too hot and working hard. As I tire, I waste more energy and just blindly pull towards the next hold. I believe I can do it, but sometimes doubt creeps in. Is it possible that I’m scared of top holds?

Thanks to Sander ter Steege of Bouldercentrum Delfts Bleau for the photo.

innsbruck 12

No comments: