Saturday 22 September 2012

World Championships 2012– Paris

The World Championships started off quite quietly for us boulderers in a side hall of the enormous Bercy arena.  I had by far the best comp of my 2012 season.  I flashed the first and last problems and stuck a dyno for a 3rd top.  I didn’t work out the other two problems, but it was good to be moving more fluidly and getting things right first time.  Katy and I hung in 10th place in our respective qualification groups and it looked like we both might qualify for the semi-finals.  There were some very strong girls within the unranked. The scores went up up agonisingly slowly.  We both just missed out in 21st and 23rd place overall.  Gutted.

The competition grew.  The crowds for the finals were bigger than any I have ever seen for a climbing event.  The atmosphere was amazing.

We had a big support team for this comp with the managers, chiropractor and nutritionist attending.  This was great.  There was also a good number of team GB supporters that came across to cheer us on.

paris2012p3-nick clement

After the dyno on problem 3 – Image by Nick Clement

girls chilling

The girls – Image by Gill Peet’s phone

No comments: